Vice President Mission & Spiritual Care - Advocate Children's Hospital and Christ Medical Center
Advocate Christ Medical Center and Advocate Children's Hopsital are part of Advocate Health Care, one of the nation’s leading health care networks.
Advocate Children’s Hospital is the largest network provider of pediatric services in Illinois and among the top 10 in the nation. The two main Chicago Metropolitan region campuses are located in Oak Lawn in the southwest and Park Ridge in the northwest. Additional services are accessible at other Advocate hospitals throughout the state. Advocate Children’s Hospital serves as a major referral center for infants and children. Through a special, wholistic approach, Advocate Children’s Hospital combines some of the country’s most respected medical talent with exceptional and compassionate care. In fact, the children’s hospital has been recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of the nation’s leaders in pediatric cardiology and neonatology, and numerous physicians on staff here have been recognized among the Top Doctors regionally and nationally in their field. The hospital is staffed by more than 400 pediatricians and 230 pediatric subspecialists, who offer a wide range of specialized services for children.
Advocate Christ Medical Center is a not-for-profit, 749-bed, premier teaching institution with more than 1,200 affiliated physicians, Christ Medical Center is one of the major referral hospitals in the Midwest for a number of specialties, including cancer care; cardiovascular services; heart, kidney and lung transplantation; neurosciences; orthopedics; and women’s health. The hospital provides emergency care for more than 100,000 patient visits annually and has one of the busiest Level I trauma centers in Illinois.
To ensure the integration of Advocate Health Care's Mission, Values, and Philosophy (MVP) throughout Advocate Children's Hospital, Advocate Children's Medical Group and Advocate Christ Medical Center, and to provide leadership and management direction, spiritual care, Clinical Pastoral Education, clinical ethics, congregational health ministry, faith community relations, and diversity initiatives to three hospitals.
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university
- Masters in Divinity from recognized theological seminary
- 4+ yrs. Parish experience or equivalent.
- 5+ yrs. Experience as department head of a hospital chaplaincy function
- Ordination with ecclesiastical endorsement, ELCA/UCC preferred.
- Denominational endorsement for specialized ministry and board certified chaplain.
- Clinical Pastoral Education ~ 4 units, ACPE, College of Chaplains recognized..
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent program development skills which require high-level management and community clergy negotiation skills.
- Knowledge and ability to work with clinical bioethics and Hospital Ethics committees.
- Ability to travel to multiple sites of care
- Ability to simultaneously serve on multiple hospital leadership teams.
- Responsible for budget management and performance and fiscal oversight of all areas of responsibility.
- Through the Office for Mission and Spiritual Care, provide for an appropriate and comprehensive ministry of spiritual care, counseling, consultation, education, worship, sacraments, and support for patients, families, physicians, and hospital associates.
- Provide leadership and support to the Presidents, Executive Leadership Teams, Senior Leadership Teams, and managers at Advocate Children's Hospital, Advocate Children's Medical Group and Advocate Christ Medical Center in matters pertaining to mission and spiritual care, interfaith engagement, medical ethics, and the practical integration of faith perspectives in hospital administration, along with upholding the mission of the health care ministry.
- Assure that quality programs of accredited Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) levels are maintained in conformity with the standards of the Advocate Health Care System for CPE and supervised by qualified supervisors.
- Represent Advocate Christ Medical Center and Advocate Children's Hospital program for mission and spiritual care to faith community leaders, congregations and to community groups and agencies (with special attention to ELCA and UCC churches), and to community groups and agencies.
- Promote system integration through participation and leadership in systemwide Advocate activities, committees, and task forces, and through sharing of information and resources with personnel and departments of other Advocate operating units.
- About Advocate Health Care
Advocate Health Care, named among the nation’s Top 5 large health systems based on quality by Truven Analytics, is the largest health system in Illinois and one of the largest health care providers in the Midwest. Advocate operates more than 250 sites of care, including 12 hospitals that encompass 11 acute care hospitals, the state’s largest integrated children’s network, the state’s largest emergency and Level I trauma network, one of the area’s largest home health care companies, and the region’s largest medical group. Advocate Health Care has 4 teaching hospitals and is a not-for-profit, mission-based health system affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the United Church of Christ.