Supervisory Science Policy Analyst
Silver Spring, MD
Monday, May 14, 2018
Administrative, Consulting, Project Management
Minimum Degree Requirements
Food and Drug Administration
**This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Tobacco Products (CTP), Office of Science (OS), located in Silver Spring, Maryland. The Office of Science (OS) will be permanently relocated in Beltsville, Maryland; tentatively scheduled for spring 2018.**
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
The Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for implementing the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. This law gives FDA authority over tobacco products by adding a new chapter to the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. The Tobacco Control Act gives FDA the authority to regulate tobacco products and manufacturers based on the best available science and CTP is responsible for both assessing and fostering that science-base. CTP's actions have significant public health and consumer protection impact, and are among the most important issues faced by the Agency in its long and distinguished history.
***Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.***
Learn more about this agency
**As a Supervisory Science Policy Analyst, you will have the following responsibilities;**
- The incumbent serves as Director of the Science Policy Staff in the Office of Science and is responsible for the supervision of science policy activities within the Center for Tobacco Products.
- The incumbent provides advice to senior leadership and key officials on issues that may impact the planning and development of other Office and/or Center programs.
- The incumbent develops and implements science policies in relation to Office and Center objectives.
### Travel Required
Occasional travel - 2% Domestic Travel Annually
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
### Who May Apply
#### This job is open to
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- #### Job family (Series)
0601 General Health Science
### Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required for Federal employment.
- Time-in-Grade must be met by announcement close to be considered eligible.
- Selective Service registeration required for certain males based on DOB.
- Background check to determine suitability for Federal employment.
Additional Conditions Of Employment
- **Security and Background Requirements:** Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
- **E-Verify:** If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- **Direct Deposit:** All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- **Pre-employment physical required:** No
- **Drug testing required:** No
- **License required:** No
- **Mobility agreement required:** No
- **Immunization required:** No
- **Bargaining Unit Position:** No
- Financial disclosure statement, OGE-450, required:**Yes
Please be advised that this position will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting this position.
**All qualification requirements (including time-in-grade) must be met by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement (02/05/2018).**
**Basic Requirements for the GS-0601, Supervisory Science Policy Analyst:**
Bachelor's or graduate/higher level degree; major study in an academic field related to the medical field, health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
In addition to meeting the Basic Qualification Requirements you must also meet the following:
Have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience evaluating, developing, and implementing regulatory science policies including regulation and guidance in relation to tobacco products.
**In order to qualify for Supervisory Science Policy Analyst, 0601, at**GS - **15, you must meet Time-in-Grade requirements by 02/05/2018.**
In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would no