Senior Manager, State and Local Government Affairs
What You'll Do
As the Senior Manager, Government Affairs (State and Local), you will help to develop and achieve Cisco's political, policy, and procurement goals in a way that reflects Cisco's values.
You will lead and support our engagements with government leaders and policy-makers and improve key relationships between Cisco executives and government officials.
You will manage and advocate Cisco’s US state and local public policy initiatives to grow and defend the business. You will build internal and external partnerships and lead our involvement with trade associations.
You will identify, analyze, and prioritize emerging policy issues and craft responses such as position papers, presentations, publication pieces, and briefings.
Within Cisco, you will work collaboratively with the US Public Sector Area Vice Presidents and other senior execs, and advise on current political and policy trends and potential implications for the business.
In addition, you will partner with organizations and executives throughout Cisco who want to better understand policy issues. You will also support other partner organizations such as Global Service Provider, Legal, Engineering, and other Cisco groups.
Who You'll Work With
Government Affairs is a global corporate function led by the Corporate Senior Vice President and Chief Government Strategy Officer. We represent Cisco to governments worldwide. Government Affairs work to
- Establish relationships with governments
- Educate governments and regulators about Cisco and the technology industry
- Advocate public policy positions consistent with Cisco’s vision.
Who You Are
You have proven experience in developing and implementing strategic plans involving legislative and regulatory matters. You're familiar with technology and related public policy issues and can represent Cisco in a variety of public settings. You're an effective advocate and relationship builder.
You are an inspiring leader both within the company and with government officials and agencies, demonstrating subject matter expertise and acting as a collaborative partner and influencer.
You have worked in government for eight or more years and have gained extensive policy, political, and procurement experience.
Political and government experience in the public and/or private sector e.g. having worked in an agency or government body; or having worked as a government affairs professional in a medium to large international corporation, trade association, law firm or consulting firm.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in public policy environment and comprehensive understanding of the operation of state and local governments in the U.S. and regulatory agencies involved in tech policy issues.
- You build relationships with state and local elected officials across the U.S.
- You are familiar with current policy priorities and challenges in the tech sector.
- You have a detailed knowledge of policy issues and the ability to analyze business and technological impacts of policy choice and implementations.
- You possess an executive presence, advocacy, communication and collaboration skills
- You love taking on multiple challenges and are a self-starter.
- You hold a B.A. degree in government, public policy, or similar field. An advanced degree in law, political science, business, economics or similar is a plus.
- You are able travel as needed (15-25%).
- Experience with public sector / procurement policy
- Leadership in developing and delivering projects or campaigns
- Excellent writing, speaking and communications skills
We connect everything people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.