Director Europe & Global Public Policy & Government Affairs, Animal Health
Tuesday, January 9, 2018
Administrative, Advocacy/Outreach, Communication, Consulting, Policy, Project Management
Minimum Degree Requirements
MSD is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where MSD has codified its 125-year legacy. MSD’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
MSD’s Animal Health (MAH) division works to improve the health of animals around the world through collaborative partnerships and a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and our planet. This team of energetic, independent thinkers offers one of the industry’s most innovative portfolios of products, services, and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species both domestically and internationally.
Director Europe & Global Public Policy & Government Affairs, Animal Health (AH) is a liasion with the World Organization of Animal Health (OIE) which establishes international standards on animal health and welfare to ensure standards that impact MSD’s products maintain or increase acceptance to 180 countries. The person in this role will be responsible for coordination with regional OIE leads to advocate for MSD policy positions, specifically on vaccines, animal welfare programs and specific products.
In addition, the role will liaise with European and international bodies other than OIE like the European Commission, European Governments, The Chief Veterinary Officers, WHO, FAO, CODEX, and others as needed.
Director Europe & Global Public Policy & Government Affairs, AH will also serve as the European technical resource on vaccines/prevention and animal welfare and represent MSD in relevant committees, organizations and events that align with business objectives.
Main responsibilities will include the following:
- Being a liasion with OIE to determine priorities and MSD policy positions on the OIE Code Chapter and other working groups
- Developing a set of regional MSD OIE leads and coordinate and develop company positions
- Develop the networks and advance MSD policies in the major international organizations such as FAO and European organisations of importance for MAH business
- Working closely with the Director of European Public Policy to execute on science-based policies and advocacy for responsible use of antibiotics, increased use of vaccination for prevention and improvement of animal welfare and other priority issues
- Engaging directly with the European Commission, specifically DG Santé but also DG Agri, DG Research and other European agencies
- Assisting in the development of Europe level public policy advocacy strategy, aligned with business objectives
- Representing MAH in International and European Trade association in the appropriate governance structures
- Monitoring & prioritising all developments in Brussels and where appropriate, which could have an impact on MAH’s business interests in the EU and globally
- Disseminating the information internally and develop an appropriate MSD Animal Health position in co-ordination with the relevant teams whenever appropriate.
- D.V.M. or advanced degree in a related field
- Minimum 10 years of experience in public policy or government work related to animal health, welfare, vaccine/prevention policy and advocating for science-based standards;
- Specialist knowledge in International and EU decision-making processes.
- Knowledge of politics, policies and actors influencing MSD Animal Health business would be a plus
- Noteworthy experience working with the International/ European organisations and the OIE specifically on writing or advising on international standards
- Ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions or approaches to issues
- Collaborative, inclusive style: Team player
- Listening skills and multi-cultural mindset;
- Ability to engage openly and positively with critics as appropriate;
- Track record of influencing & networking successfully internally and externally;
- Strong coordination and communication skills
- Mindset: Self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Languages: Fluent English and mastery of at least one other European language.
Your role at MSD is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At MSD, we’re inventing for life.
Please apply online clicking on the application button. The application deadline is January 9th, 2018.