Associate Director, Executive and Corporate Internal Communications
San Francisco, CA
Tuesday, March 20, 2018
Administrative, Advocacy/Outreach, Communication, Project Management
Minimum Degree Requirements
We are eager to find an experienced executive and corporate communications professional who is passionate about employee communications to join our team. The right individual will be able to strategize, counsel and synthesize one minute and execute the next. He or she must be dedicated to supporting our executives’ commitment to communicating authentically, transparently and without corporate speak and jargon. It’s an intense, fast-paced and influential role within a fun, experienced and high-energy team.
This individual leads and drives development of an overarching executive communications strategy that strengthens our employees’ belief in and commitment to Genentech’s leaders, our long-term business strategy, and our unique culture and company values. Working as a key advisor to the CEO and other senior leaders, and in consultation with the Director, Internal Communications, this role offers the opportunity to modernize and advance executive communications at Genentech.
This Role Is Accountable For
- Leading the development of Genentech’s overall internal company narrative, aligned to our Executive Committee’s business and cultural priorities, consistent with the corporate brand, and within the context of our evolving industry.
- Designing the strategy and implementing the tactics that will bring the company’s narrative to life through creative communications and engaging experiences including executive gatherings, all-employee meetings, rich digital/video storytelling and special events.
- Evolving the CEO and Genentech Executive Committee’s internal communications vision and creating the annual strategic communications plan.
- Acting as a strategic partner to the CEO and other key executives to plan and prepare effective, thoughtful and engaging internal communications that educate, inform, connect with and inspire employees.
- Directing strategy and executing communications in partnership with our external communications team around corporate issues as well as opportunistic events that effect the company’s reputation and ability to attract and retain employees.
- Leading the creation of communications and tools for Genentech’s Officer community.
- Evaluating longitudinal performance leadership communications, based on real time metrics and other leading key performance indicators; recommending refinements to communications strategies, messaging and new feedback mechanisms, as needed, based on ongoing assessments.
- Partnering with and influencing with internal partners as needed in the best interests of the company and its employees.
- Leading, developing and inspiring one experienced direct report.
Who You Are
- BS/BA required
- 15+ years of experience
- Extensive experience managing internal colleagues or agencies in supporting and executing communications strategies, plans, programs and events
- Biotech or pharma experience is highly desirable
- Strong understanding of effective executive communications, employee engagement, channels and event management at a great place to work
To be successful, the Associate Director Executive and Corporate Internal Communications must have:
- Strong executive presence with a history of cultivating strong and trusting counseling relationships with executive leaders, including C-Suite leadership.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong story-telling skills, excellent editorial judgment, a passion for language and dislike for corporate speak.
- The ability to see the connections between seemingly disparate issues, as well as distill complex and sometimes voluminous content into clear, concise and engaging communications.
- Proven leadership skills, including demonstrated excellence in leading large-scale cross-functional initiatives and teams.
- Experience managing issues and crisis communications.
- Strategic agility, including knowledge of the healthcare industry and the ability to bring this knowledge to bear when advising stakeholders and partners on communication strategies, plans, objectives, tactics, implications and impact.
- Strong creative ability, knowing how to use creative design effectively to enhance employee understanding of business strategies and engagement
- Strong consulting skills with the ability to quickly assimilate business needs and circumstances and effectively advise others
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills, including a track record of influencing without authority and driving cross-functional activities to successful conclusion.
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills, with an ability to consistently execute multiple, and sometimes competing, activities and complex projects to high quality conclusion, on-time, and within budget.
- A track record of consistently acting with urgency as appropriate.
- Strength of conviction while also being flexible and humble.
- Strong customer-orientation and proven track record of collaborative work relationships.
- Strong track record in managing external vendor partners and other internal colleagues in the execution of communications strategies, plans, programs and events.
Who We Are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.