Supervisory Biologist/Toxicologist/Physical Scientist
- Earth Day is every day at EPA! At EPA, you can protect human health and the environment of all Americans, and you'll discover that EPA is one great place to work! We offer great benefits and work flexibilities, and our diverse workforce connects to more than just a career--we share a common passion to promote a cleaner, healthier environment.
This position is located in the Office of Research and Development, Office of Science Policy, Program Support Staff in Washington, DC.
For more information on this office, visit their website:
- As Chief of the Program Support Staff, develop, coordinate and oversee office-wide strategies on regulatory and scientific policy issues;
- Develop long-range strategies and program goals for agency-wide program support issues;
- Exercise supervisory responsibilities;
- Develop working relationships on program support issues across the Office.
- Supervisory status
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current permanent EPA internal employees in the Office of Research and Development with competitive status and CTAP eligibles.
- Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- If you are selected, a pre-employment background check is required.
- You must submit resume and required documents (see How to Apply section).
- You may be required to travel 1 to 5 days per month.
- Position has educational/degree requirements (see Qualifications section).
- EPA and non-EPA applicants must submit transcripts/course listings.
- This is a temporary position (see Other Information on assignment limits).
This position is designated as High Risk and requires a background investigation. Unless an appropriate background investigation is already on record with the Office of Personnel Management, you must undergo a background investigation.
You must meet time in grade requirements no later than 30 calendar days after the closing date of this announcement.
If you are selected, you must complete (or have already completed) a 1-year supervisory or managerial probationary period.
Upon acceptance of an initial appointment to a supervisory or managerial position with the EPA, you agree to complete all elements of the EPA Successful Leaders Program. This development program is designed to enhance leadership skills and abilities and meet the Agency's goal of providing new leaders with the skills and tools you need to be successful.
You need a degree or combination of education and experience as described below to qualify for this position.
Biologist: You must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited or pre-accredited college or university in one of the following: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position; OR a combination of education and experience with courses equivalent to a major, as listed.
Toxicologist: You must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited or pre-accredited college or university in one of the following: toxicology; or an appropriate discipline of the biological, medical, or veterinary sciences that included at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, biochemistry, or physiology, and 12 semester hours in toxicology.
Physical Scientist: You must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited or pre-accredited college or university in one of the following: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics; OR a combination of education and experience -- education equivalent to one of the majors shown above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to the educational requirements, we are looking for at least one year of specialized experience related to this position as described below
As part of the application process, you are required to submit college transcripts or a list of courses as described in the Required Documents section of this announcement. However, if you are selected, you must provide official educational transcripts before you start work with EPA. More information on verification of education can be found here:
To qualify for the GS-15 level, you need to have at least one year of full time experience equivalent to the GS-14 level defined as analyzing or evaluating scientific, policy and/or regulatory issues; and coordinating media-specific or cross-media program or project activities.
Your answers to the on-line assessment will be used to evaluate your competencies in the following areas: 1) Knowledge of cross-media research programs; 2) Ability to analyze scientific policy and regulation issues; 3) Skill in program management; 4) Skill in presenting to various audiences; 5) Ability to exercise supervisory responsibilities; 6) Skill in coordinating and overseeing the work of a team and/or staff; 7) Ability to develop professional working relationships.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
If You Have Part-time Work Experience, Read This
Are you a Displaced Federal Employee? If so, please read the Required Documents section and visit the EPA website for additional information:
Position has portable work and selectee may be eligible to telework.
If you are selected, travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid by EPA. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting to work in this position will be your responsibility.
If you are selected, you will serve in either a temporary promotion or a detail.
If this position is at a higher grade than your current grade, the assignment will be a temporary promotion which will be processed for a period not to exceed one year. It may be extended up to four additional years without further competition, for a total of five years.
If you are already at the same grade as this position, your assignment will be a detail which will be processed for a period not to exceed 120 days, and may be extended in 120 day increments. While on the detail, your salary will not change.
You may be returned at any time to the position from which you were temporarily promoted or detailed, or to a different position of equivalent position and pay.
If you are selected, your position may become permanent.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and required documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your resume must address the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in the Qualifications section. If you meet basic qualification requirements, your application will be further evaluated based on your answers to the online assessment. Your responses to the online assessment will be used to measure the degree to which your background matches the requirements for the position and an applicable score assigned.
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. We will evaluate your qualifications and eligibility and notify you if you meet minimum qualification requirements. If you are referred for consideration, you may be subject to additional assessments.
NOTE: We do not require a separate statement responding to the competencies, also referred to as Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). However, your resume should clearly show possession of these competencies.
To preview questions please
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
Documents To Be Submitted Online
- Resume clearly stating your experience related to this position as described in the Duties section and Qualifications section. In describing your experience, you need to be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
- Responses to the online assessment questionnaire.
- College transcripts - required to submit either unofficial transcripts or a list of courses that includes school(s) attended, school address, course title, grades earned, completion dates, department, and quarter or semester hours earned.
- Displaced Federal employees under CTAP: copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, tenure, and duty station.
- Current EPA Employees: You are encouraged to submit a Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50). If you fail to provide an SF-50, we will access your Federal employment records in eOPF to verify your eligibility to be considered. If your eligibility for consideration cannot be determined, your application will be rated ineligible.
- If you want to know more about submitting documentation to our office, visit EPA's website:
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Benefits will not change for current permanent EPA employees.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
You are strongly encouraged to read the entire announcement before you submit your application for this position.
To begin the application process, click the Apply button to the right on this screen, follow the prompts to log-in/register, submit all required documents, and complete the assessment questionnaire. To be considered, you must submit a complete application package by 11:59 PM Eastern time on the day the announcement closes.
All required supporting documents will be collected electronically via the USAJOBS document portfolio feature.