Senior Director IPA, Middle East/Africa
The Senior Director International Public Affairs will develop and manage strategic public affairs initiatives to support Pfizer's PEH and PIH businesses in the Middle East. The successful candidate will also be responsible to establish a new public affairs and policy function to support Pfizer Consumer Health in the Middle East and Africa.
- Develop and implement an innovative Public Affairs/Policy strategic platforms to support Pfizer Consumer Health Business in Africa and Middle East including but not limited to creation of broader industry coalition and platform to advance Pfizer’s position on policy issues impacting Consumer Health.
- Develop and implement proactive strategies with concrete metrics, and oversee resource allocation, to address PIH and PEH strategic goals in the Middle East
- Serve as thought partner to regional presidents and commercial leaders in assessing the
impact of the external policy environment on business strategy, and provide strategic counsel in
business planning decisions (operating plan, business reviews, business development work, etc.)
- Coordinate, lead, and participate in advocacy functions of regional and DC based trade and business associations in the Middle East (PHRMA, BIO, Consumer Health, US Chamber etc.)
- Create an association and network of health policy advocates. Establish, maintain and consistently leverage relationships with think tanks and other organizations to advance Pfizer's strategic priorities and ensure Pfizer's position is reflected in advocacy materials.
- Work with in-country corporate affairs leaders and country managers to develop and implement new strategies in response to policy platforms of elected officials
- Proactively identify emerging issues and develop and lead implementation of rapid response team strategies including goals, deliverables and metrics
- Develop strategic engagement platform for Pfizer's executives to engage with stakeholders to drive policy goals. Develop C-Suite briefing materials for meetings including goals and metrics. Ensure meeting follow-up including documentation as needed. Maintain strict compliance with all applicable policies and laws, especially those related to interactions with government official
- Create best in class in country corporate affairs leaders through onboarding programs and other trainings
- Exceptional understanding of role of public affairs and policy in driving business goals and strong grasp of public policymaking process.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute effective, innovative and practical public affairs and policy solutions and comprehensive plans that deliver results. Demonstrated ability to develop and deploy appropriate "public affairs and policy" tools (advocacy, lobbying, stakeholder engagement plans etc)
- Strong understanding of business strategy and key drivers of commercial success
- Recognized as a creative and independent thinker who clearly articulates public policy ideas
and recommends sophisticated concrete solutions
- Highly skilled at anticipating, identifying, and addressing emerging issues and related risks that could impact Pfizer's business
- Outstanding ability to develop relationships with key constituencies. Highly skilled at advocacy influence within internal/external matrix organizations. Adept at navigating complex environments through range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptionally strong executive presence and interpersonal acumen, highly substantive and collaborative. Demonstrated ability to succinctly convey relevant information at the right time and with the proper context and seek input as needed. Outstanding oral and written communications skills, including demonstrated ability to develop C Suite communication
- Well organized, highly motivated, creative and analytical problem solver
- Demonstrated the ability to manage change, operate with ease in a dynamic environment and in navigating ambiguity to drive decisions
- Consistently sets ambitious, tangible, measurable goals. Focuses on goals and outcomes. Makes timely decisions, takes initiative and operates with a sense of urgency and responsiveness
- Leads the recruitment, development, and retention of corporate affairs talent to support the needs of the organization. Coaches in-country leaders to be strategic and proactive in their approach to corporate affairs and the business
Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree required. Advanced Degree in health/public policy, international affairs, political science, and/or law strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated excellence in leadership of industry trade associations, US Chambers of Commerce and engagement with critical policymakers
- Significant experience in public affairs and health policy, government affairs, and/or trade policy
- Experience in Washington DC or Brussels and/or Public Affairs in Emerging Markets preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years' experience in combined public policy, government relations, public affairs.
- Exceptional command of English language and executive writing is required.
- Fluency in Arabic a strong plus.
International travel required. Working hours outside day shift required because of differences in time zones