Science Policy and Communication Analyst
This position is located in the Office of Legislative and Public Affairs (OLPA) within the Office of the Director. OLPA’S goal is to advance NSF's mission through strategic communications aligned to the foundation's objectives. OLPA fulfills this mission by building awareness and support with stakeholders and key audiences through targeted outreach, conveying the societal value and impact of NSF’s supported research efforts through communications tactics, aligning communications efforts across the foundation through strategic plans, products and services, and consistent messages, and engaging and empowering NSF’s workforce to support the foundation’s objectives through timely, effective and relevant communications.
In support of NSF and OLPA’s growing communications activities, OLPA has a need for a person capable of working across all directorates and offices within NSF and across all teams within OLPA. This person must exercise independent judgment and initiate the agency’s and the office’s goals, mission and vision. Specific services will include translating scientific topics to a wide variety of audiences, project management and outreach for a variety of audiences. As a member of OLPA, the Science Policy and Communications Analyst will work directly for the Head of the Office of Legislative and Public Affairs but coordinate with the Team Leads of OLPA for assignments.
More information about OLPA office can be found at their website More Information.
- Serves as a confidential science communications advisor and resource to the Head of the Office of Legislative and Public Affairs in support of policy, planning, and communication activities agency wide.
- Serves as the authority on internal communications, primarily responsible for developing and cascading key agency communication messages throughout the workforce.
- Develops, maintains and implements a comprehensive NSF internal communications plan to keep NSF staff informed and engaged about NSF initiatives, policies and processes. Considers such items as topics to emphasize, the most effective was to communicate to intended audiences, the kind of information the audiences want or need.
- Works with the Office of the Director and the OLPA Office Head to identify and describe issues to be communicated, keeps OLPA senior staff informed of plans for future communications.
- Manages a portfolio of assignments which require selecting, analyzing, articulating and translating key scientific policy issues to internal audiences and Senior Management Officials.
- Arrives independently through study and research at defensible positions about the quality and value of major foundation programs and policies in science and is responsible for presenting these positions to the OLPA Office Head for internal use. This analysis also forms the basis for setting priorities in the management of the portfolio of issues maintained by the incumbent.
- May draw on others in all parts of the Foundation to assist in developing the issues maintained in the portfolio. The position requires frequent direct contact with the Office Head of OLPA, the Director and Chief Operating Officer as well as other high-level management officials.
- Represents OLPA on directorate and foundation wide groups, represents NSF on activities related to mission, vision, policy and program related evaluation, as well as scientific policy and planning.
- Establishes and maintains liaisons with internal NSF Directorates and Offices on policy issues with which the NSF Director, OPLA Office Head is concerned.
- Handles sensitive and confidential matters related to the NSF Director and Chief Operating Officer, the agency’s management, staffing, labor-management relations, agency budget planning and approaches; future programmatic directions and strategy; pre-announcement details of major NSF awards; sensitive information on agency relations to Congress, the Executive Branch, industry, state and local government officials, and leadership of the science and engineering community; and private/personal views of the Director and Chief Operating Officer on key science policy matters.