Program Manager, Science, Technology, and Public Policy Program
The Program Manager will be responsible for managing the programming, administration, educational, and research activities of the Ford School’s Science, Technology, and Public Policy (STPP) Program. The STPP Program is a Ford School center that includes research, educational, and public and policy engagement activities. Most notable is its graduate certificate program, which allows Masters and PhD students from across University of Michigan to develop competency in science and technology policy. To learn more about the STPP Program, please visit www.stpp.fordschool.umich.edu
Please note: This is a two year term limited position. The appointment may be extended beyond two years contingent upon program initiatives and securing additional funding. A cover letter and resume are required for consideration for this position.
ABOUT THE FORD SCHOOLThe Ford School is one of the nation’s foremost policy schools, housed at one of the world’s great public universities. We lead research that illuminates public policy challenges and opportunities. We prepare future policy leaders and analysts for dynamic careers in the public and private sectors here in the U.S. and around the world. We work with policymakers to inform and improve local, state, national, and international policies. We foster dialogue and understanding about the most pressing policy challenges and opportunities of today. To learn more about the Ford School’s mission and activities—including our academic programs and research —please visit www.fordschool.umich.edu
Student Facing Programming:
- Manage educational programs in consultation with the STPP Director. This will include recruiting students to the graduate certificate and other programs, one on one advising with students as they progress through STPP programs, developing long-term partnerships with faculty and programs across campus to enhance educational programs, and spearheading changes as necessary.
- Identify and circulate information about opportunities related to science and technology policy, including jobs and conferences. Manage STPP Student Career Development Grant Program.
- Manage and oversee administrative infrastructure related to STPP’s educational programs, including keeping track of student records and updating information about STPP students and alumni.
- Assist the director and other STPP faculty in reviewing and expanding educational programming, which will require data gathering about comparable programs and from STPP alumni and potential employers.
- Visualize and develop in collaboration with faculty and staff global internships and applied policy seminar project opportunities.
- Manage and liaise with student group InSPIRE to build and maintain STPP community, including book clubs, movie nights, and webinars with STPP alumni.
Event Programming & Outreach:
- Plan and manage various public and academic events in collaboration with the STPP director, various faculty and the school’s communications and outreach office. Identify and suggest potential speakers, visitors and policy makers related to science and technology policy and the program‘s mission. Plan events including format and gathering co-sponsorships. Work with other Ford School staff on publicity, catering, and other logistics as needed.
- Spearhead the production of STPP’s bi-yearly Newsletter, composing content, soliciting content from STPP affiliates, and designing and publishing the final version with input from the STPP Director.
- Cultivate relationships with STPP faculty affiliates and other faculty with interests in science and technology policy across campus.
- Maintain and enhance relationships with STPP alumni, keeping them abreast of STPP activities while also maintaining information about their employment status and interests. Develop alumni database and other infrastructure to connect current students with alumni who can provide career guidance.
- Develop relationships with potential employers, including cultivating new internships and fellowships for STPP students and alumni.
- Work with the development director, STPP director and dean to identify and cultivate relationship with potential donors.
- Network with peer universities and programs in the United States and elsewhere.
- Manage and contribute to STPP’s social media accounts, including Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Manage the operational activities of STPP, including overseeing the budget, preparing travel requests and reimbursements, requisitions, purchase orders, event planning and support, and other related duties as needed.
- In collaboration with our Communications & Outreach office, design and create communications and marketing materials to publicize STPP-related activities. Maintain content of STPP website and monitor and update portions of Ford School and Michigan websites related to science and technology policy.
- Identify external and internal grant opportunities to support and expand STPP activities. Draft grant applications in consultation with the STPP Director and other relevant faculty.
- Identify and disseminate research funding opportunities related to science and technology policy. Assist faculty with grant applications as needed.
- Assist the director and other Ford School faculty with STPP-hosted academic conferences and workshops, as needed.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with foundations and other potential funders to support the work of the program in general, and specific faculty work in science and technology policy.