The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is seeking nominations of qualified candidates to be considered for membership on the National Research Advisory Council. The Council provides advice to the Secretary of Veterans Affairs and the Under Secretary for Health, and makes recommendations on the nature and scope of research and development sponsored and/or conducted by the Veterans Health Administration to include:
- The policies and projects of the Office of Research and Development (ORD);
- The focus of research on the high priority health care needs of Veterans;
- The balance of basic, applied, and outcomes research;
- The scientific merit review process;
- The appropriate mechanisms by which ORD can leverage its resources to enhance the research financial base;
- The rapid response to changing health care needs, while maintaining the stability of the research infrastructure; and
- The protection of human subjects of research.
Appropriate categories of primary expertise that may be represented include:
- Basic biomedical research;
- Rehabilitation research and development;
- Health services research and development;
- Clinical research;
- Geriatric care;
- Primary care;
- Special Veterans population health issues;
- Occupational and environmental health research;
- Mental health and behavioral research; and
In addition, the Council will have at least one Veteran as a member to ensure an important perspective on the health problems of Veterans.
More information is available via the Federal Register notice.