"Promoting Health and Wellness for all Arizonans" is the motto of the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS). ADHS promotes and protects the health of Arizona's children and adults and sets the standard for personal and community health through direct care, science, public policy and leadership. ADHS is an award winning, nationally recognized department and is one of the largest in Arizona State Government with a budget of 1.5 billion dollars and workforce of approximately 1550 employees.
Visit our website at http://www.azdhs.gov
(Administrative Assistant 3)
Arizona State Hospital - 501 N. 24th St., Phoenix, AZ 85008
The Arizona State Hospital (ASH) is located on a 93 acre campus at 24th Street and Van Buren, in Phoenix, Arizona. ASH provides long-term inpatient psychiatric care to Arizonans with mental illnesses that are under court order for treatment. ASH protects the rights and privileges of each patient, including the patients' rights to confidentiality and privacy. Treatment at ASH is considered "the highest and most restrictive" level of care in the state. Patients are admitted as a result of an inability to be treated in a community facility or due to their legal status. Hospital personnel provide state-of-the-art inpatient psychiatric care and are committed to treating patients and personnel with dignity and respect. Interdisciplinary care is delivered in collaboration with the patient, family, legal representatives and community providers with a focus on recovery and community reintegration.
This position provides support to the Chief Medical Officer, the Civil Units, Forensic Units and the Assistant Attorney Generals who are assigned to the Arizona State Hospital; tracks all civil court orders for treatment; and is also responsible for researching data, laws in statute books, codes, & reads and interprets state, federal, Arizona codes, laws and regulations. This position provides administrative support coverage as needed in the Chief Medical Officer's Department.
– Assisting with prehearing and hearing preparation and post hearing if needed.
– Working with guardians and public fiduciary's office to help ensure the psychiatric reports are sent to them in a timely manner for filing
– Calling for service of process on patients (EZ messenger), interfacing with unit staff to make sure patient is available for serving, and accompanying process server to serve patient
– Reviewing the initial legal documentation for proposed civil and forensic admissions, calculating amount of inpatient days remaining on civil court orders, and interfacing with the RBHA for additional legal information or paperwork as needed
– Maintaining discharge notification requirements for patients
– Tracking GEI patients, when statutory reports are due to PSRB for hearing and for PSRB expiration and puts together the monthly PSRB reports, signed CR Plan and risks assessment and sends to AAG Office
– Calculating judicial review dates to ensure timely compliance
– Putting together the civil management/civil privileging meeting packets and taking accurate minutes for Civil Privileging and Civil Management and ensures that the team is aware of the decision of the CEO/CMO if asking for privileges
– Supporting a diverse multi-cultural workforce that reflects the community, promotes equal opportunity at all levels of ADHS, and creates an inclusive work environment that enables all individuals to perform to their fullest potential free from discrimination.
Position Requirements Include
– Requires a high school diploma or equivalent
– Legal experience including investigative, research experience
– Knowledge of all Microsoft Office packages;
– Skills in strong organizational, administrative and analytical functions; excellent spelling, proofreading and computer skills; verbal and written communication; interpersonal skills to interact with professional and para-professional hospital staff; computer skills including, Microsoft products; and using general office equipment
– Ability to maintain confidentiality; produce consistently accurate work even whilst under pressure; multi-task and manage conflict demands, adapt quickly to changes in priorities, to remain calm in stressful situations/emergencies; problem solve and work independently and to perform specialized tasks as required
– Performance management (PM) model and continuous quality improvement (CQI) methods in a public health setting
– Experience and a comfortable use of Microsoft Office is a necessity. Good internet skills, including research, use of e-mails, group messaging and data collection.
– Comfortable working with patients in a hospital setting
– Mental Health Law Experience Preferred
– Preference will be given to candidates with prior Public Health experience