The House Committee on Energy and Commerce, Subcommittee on Health, will hold a hearing titled "Improving the Coordination and Quality of Substance Use Disorder Treatment". The Subcommittee will review a discussion draft entitled “Overdose Prevention and Patient Safety Act,” which was authored by Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) and Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR). The discussion draft will permit substance use disorder (SUD) records to be shared between covered entities (health providers, payers, and business associates) in accordance with the HIPAA Privacy Rule, for the purposes of treatment, payment, and healthcare operations. The bill will also enhance the penalties in the event of disclosure SUD treatment records, add breach notification requirements, and provide discrimination prohibitions to protect individuals seeking and receiving SUD treatment.
- The Honorable Earl Blumenauer: Member of Congress, Washington D.C.
- Dr. H. Westley Clark: Dean’s Executive Professor, Public Health Program, Santa Clara University
- Mr. Gerald DeLoss: Officer, Greensfelder, Hemker, and Gale, P.C.
- Mr. Jeremiah Gardner: Manager, Public Affairs and Advocacy, Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation
- Mr. Dustin McKee: Director of Policy, National Alliance on Mental Illness of Ohio
- Ms. Patty McCarthy Metcalf: Executive Director, Faces and Voices of Recovery
Members of the public may attend in person or via webcast. More information is available at the Committee's website.