The House Committee on Energy and Commerce, Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, will hold a hearing titled "Combating the Opioid Epidemic: Examining Concerns About Distribution and Diversion". The purpose of this hearing is to investigate the role of wholesale drug distribution and diversion in the opioid epidemic in the US. Specifically, the hearing will examine whether any breakdowns occurred in the closed system for controlled substance distribution, established under the Controlled Substances Act, resulting in massive amounts of prescription opioids being shipped to small-town pharmacies in rural West Virginia while the opioid crisis continued to worsen throughout the US, but particularly in West Virginia.
- Mr. George Barrett: Executive Chairman of the Board, Cardinal Health, Inc.
- Mr. Steven Collis: Chairman, President, and CEO, AmerisourceBergen Corporation
- Mr. John Hammergren: Chairman, President, and CEO, McKesson Corporation
- Dr. Joseph Mastandrea: Chairman of the Board, Miami-Luken, Inc.
- Mr. J. Christopher Smith: Former President and CEO, H.D. Smith Wholesale Drug Company
Members of the public may attend in person or via webcast. More information is available at the Committee's website.