EFD Paralegal and Coordinator
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
This position provides 1) paralegal support as part of the Conservation Finance Division’s (CFD) legal team; 2) coordinator support for the Global Conservation Fund (GCF); and 3) coordinator support for the Conservation Finance Division. CFD is the division at CI that provides financing to support field-level conservation and ensure economic benefits to local communities. CFD operates through a number of funds, including GCF and Conservation Ventures. GCF finances the creation, expansion and long-term management of priority areas for conservation. Current initiatives include programmatic management of the Blue Abadi fund in Indonesia and support for Nia Tero, a new fund focusing on conservation led by indigenous people. Conservation Ventures is a new accelerator fund that will provide support to enterprises whose business activities have the potential for environmental impact.
CFD Paralegal Duties
The CFD Paralegal shall support the work of the two CFD legal advisors. Specific duties for this position include:
- preparing, reviewing, proofreading and editing grant, loan and other transaction documents.
- assisting with both internal and external processes for the closing of transactions.
- conducting legal research.
- conducting legal due diligence on borrowers and related projects for Conservation Ventures.
- assisting with the contracting of vendors and leading the disbursements to vendors as needed.
- maintaining contact with other CI departments, local counsel and grantees.
- providing support in the retention of local counsel (researching local firms, drafting requests for proposals, drafting request for proposal charts to compare the various firms).
GCF Coordinator Duties
The GCF grant coordinator will primarily provide timely assistance to GCF staff with the collection and evaluation of reports from grantees that have received GCF funding, programmatic backstopping, and communications. Specific activities undertaken include:
- coordinating technical reporting and deliverables for the USAID Blue Abadi grant.
- producing fact sheets, narrative long-term financing packages, and other communications products for donors.
- providing administrative and programmatic support for the GCF portfolio.
- collecting and tracking long-term financing reports for legacy GCF deals.
CFD Coordinator Duties
The coordinator will also support the Conservation Finance Division as a whole through tasks that include:
- researching topics related to conservation finance.
- maintaining organized records through document management systems.
- organizing division-wide events.
- providing general administrative support to CFD staff, including scheduling and expense reporting.
- The duties of this position are carried out in a normal office environment.
- Bachelor's degree from a four year university
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Strong writing, proofreading and communication skills
- Ability to keep track of documents and track progress of project activity
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Spanish proficiency (speaking and writing)
- French and/or Portuguese language skills
- Ability to juggle and prioritize several tasks, flexibility, friendly personality
- Demonstrated interest in nature conservation, human development, or conservation finance
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter and references.