Director, Science Operations, Coordination, and Support Services
The Director, Science Operations, Coordination, and Support Services as a member of the Office of the Chief Science Office (OCSO) will work in partnership with the Chief Science Officer (CSO) who is responsible for forwarding the mission/vision of PCORI through the five national scientific priorities and programs of research.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In coordination with the CSO, manage the day-to-day operational activities of the Science team within the OCSO and throughout Science; these activities include developing and/or overseeing budget and procurement activities, ensuring effective HR departmental activities (including planning and executing strategies for staff recruitment, retention, evaluation and promotion, training and staff development initiatives), overseeing space and other support needs for Science staff, and any other operational requirements as established by the CSO
- Provide projections to support the development of strategic initiatives and scenario planning within the OCSO in terms of budget, staff, space, and timeline
- In consultation with CSO, prioritize and monitor workload across the OCSO department ensuring parity and balance between individual staff, functional units, and programs
- In consultation with the CSO and leadership for each Science program, monitor workload for balance and parity between individual staff, functional units, and program
- Define and improve internal departmental processes including planning for and executing an efficient set of regular meetings to establish and ensure effective communication and coordination within the OCSO, and between the OCSO and the Science programs
- Develop, implement, monitor, and remediate communication strategies to promote effective and efficient information sharing and collaboration within and between Science programs, initiatives, and the OCSO
- Define and improve department processes to establish and ensure effective communication and mutual coordination with departments across the organization (e.g., Engagement, Operations, and Executive Director's Office)
- Monitor inter-departmental coordination strategies, and improve as to promote effective and efficient collaboration with other departments within PCORI
- Supervise Manager, Science Operations and other staff as requested
- As requested by CSO, facilitate operational support for research partnerships, organizational collaborations, and co-funding arrangements
- As requested by the CSO, and in collaboration with Science program staff, support active portfolio management and award monitoring initiatives in collaboration with Finance, Office of the General Counsel, and Contracts Management and Administration, with attention to technology requirements such as Salesforce
- Develop and update operational priorities with the CSO on a regular basis
- Oversight of the management and tracking of the internal research budget with Manager of Science Operations
- Staff all operational collaborations with HR, Finance, Procurement, and Program Support Services
- Ensure appropriate Science involvement and input for cross-PCORI initiatives, including new technology solutions, such as Salesforce
- In consultation with Program leadership for Research Synthesis, Clinical Effectiveness and Decision Science (CEDS), Healthcare Delivery and Disparities Research (HDDR), and Peer Review, oversee and coordinate cross-departmental activities as they relate to implementation of extramural research functions to ensure efficiency and effectiveness
- Oversee all departmental meetings, communication, and coordination strategies, including the Science help desk
- Oversee training and implementation as required for Science staff to appropriately participate with other departments including but not limited to: HR, Procurement, Travel and Expenses, Program Support Services, IT, and other non-Science departments
- Support the ongoing development of the Science "Front Door"
- Collaborate with Program Directors for Research Synthesis, CEDS, HDDR, and Peer Review to support efficient and effective solutions for their specific program needs, including advisory panel and Methodology Committee support
- Support the CSO in achieving high levels of staff performance, satisfaction, and retention
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
- Senior-level management and/or project management experience
- Leadership and business acumen; a proven record of leading and managing departments and driving program/project results and innovation
- Strategic planning and development; experience with aligning organizational metrics to strategy
- Versatility; ability to manage across departments, align and realign priorities and resources
- High performance team building; confidentiality and discretion; passion for motivating and developing staff, and garnering collaboration
- Composure under pressure and poise, confidence and communication skills that represent the CSO and Science to multiple constituencies and stakeholders
- Interest in and ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced start-up environment
- Graduate degree in a healthcare, research administration, or public policy discipline (e.g. education/health education, medicine, public health, public policy) required
- 3-5 years in a director/associate director role or similar
- 5+ years in leading teams, strategic partnerships, and change management within a research institute
- 5+ years supporting research administration and grants and contracts management