Director, Corporate Communications and Corporate Affairs
Sucampo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (SPI) is currently searching for a Director, Corporate Communications & Corporate Affaris for the U.S. office located in Rockville, Maryland. SPI is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on innovative research and development of proprietary drugs to treat gastrointestinal, ophthalmic and oncology-based inflammatory disorders. Sucampo has a marketed product - AMITIZA® - and a pipeline including lifecycle management and clinical development programs. Sucampo is headquartered in Rockville, Maryland, and has operations in Japan, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President, Investor Relations and Corporate Affairs, the Director of Corporate Communications and Corporate Affairs will be responsible for the planning, execution, reporting, and management of external and internal communications for Sucampo. Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to communications, media relations, industry relations, special events, public affairs, strategic communications, executive positioning, and stakeholder outreach. The Director will partner with key departments within the organization to advance Sucampo’s external and internal communications objectives.
- Development, implementation, and evaluation of both strategic and tactical communications plans to build and enhance Sucampo’s brand and corporate image among key stakeholder audiences: media, healthcare professionals, consumers, key opinion leaders, advocacy organizations, government relations targets, and internal employees. All efforts will support Sucampo on a global basis.
- Define and manage communications, media and public relations strategies to reach and influence key audiences with key messages.
- Support product public relations and communications, including key data releases, regulatory approvals, and product launches.
- Proactively reach out to members of the media as needed to generate business and trade coverage of company and products (both marketed and within pipeline)
- Research, develop and/or edit communications materials, including press releases, fact sheets, presentations, social media content, website content, etc.
- Support the implementation of outreach and advocacy (patient/caregiver and healthcare professional) activities.
- Manage the preparation of company presentations for use at meetings and events (both external and internal). Ensure that final presentations are complete, accurate, reviewed by key internal stakeholders as needed, and of a high-quality nature.
- Prepare briefing books containing background material and talking points for company executives for interviews, key events and/or meetings. Draft talking points, Q&A’s and other backgrounders to prepare spokespeople for interviews and presentations.
- Maintain newsflow of all upcoming Sucampo news and events for the next 12-18 months.
- Manage internal employee communications, including assisting with employee events as needed.
- Support Sucampo government relations efforts by serving on staff-level committees for BIO (as needed) and other industry trade groups such as Tech Council of Maryland. Manage Sucampo participation in these trade groups, track key issues and legislation/policies of interest to Sucampo, and draft position papers as needed. Support Sucampo CEO by preparing summaries prior to BIO Board meetings. Attend meetings with government/regulatory entities as needed.
- Manage the Sucampo website and intranet site redesign. Manage regular updates of corporate website (e.g., press releases, management and board of director updates, etc).
- Lead development and then implementation of social media strategy. Create content and ensure regular exposure on target social media channels.
- Manage external requests from potential or existing partners for the following: requests for sponsorship, media interviews, conference or event participation; vendor pitches for services or media buys; and any other external requests. The Manager will assess opportunities and draft next-step recommendations, and then coordinate completion of requests as appropriate.
- Manage IR and Corporate Affairs department budget. Once budget is approved, monitor budget expenditure, working with Finance to track expenses versus budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- At least 10 years of experience in a publicly traded, global biopharmaceutical company or agency setting leading strategic public relations and corporate communications programs. Specific experience in pharmaceuticals is required.
- Master’s degree in communications, policy, or business administration preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Proven ability to formulate communications strategy at both corporate and product level, and implement that strategy.
- Excellent external engagement skills, especially interacting with members of the media, advocacy organizations, and other stakeholders. Proven track record in building relationships with members of the media.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex corporate and brand announcements on a global basis.
- Must possess prior experience pitching members of national, regional, and local business and trade media.
- Strong writing skills in a variety of contexts: press releases, online content, social media posts, presentation writing, internal announcements, etc.
- Understanding of social media strategy and implementation in biopharmaceutical industry, including track record of social media implementation (especially Twitter and LinkedIn).
- Extensive knowledge of biopharmaceutical industry, including current knowledge of key topics in our industry.
- Understanding of policy topics in biopharmaceutical industry, and ability to identify and summarize key legislative and policy issues with potential to impact Sucampo.bility to prioritize, organize and meet tight deadlines. Ability to multi-task.
- Relishes learning and working in a fast-paced and lean operating environment.
- Ability to be resourceful, flexible, and productive in the face of ambiguity.
- Ability to work with colleagues and others at all levels (from CEO-level contacts to administrative contacts at vendors)
- Strong Microsoft Office computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Technically proficient and able to learn new software and electronic tools as required