Associate Vice President, Science and Regulatory Affairs
The primary responsibility of the Associate Vice President, Science and Regulatory Affairs is the development of technical and regulatory strategies related to human and environmental safety issues of concern to ACI members and management of associated ACI activities. The individual in this position would manage all aspects of assigned human and environmental research programs, including design, day-to-day management, preparation of final reports, and presentation of findings in scientific forums. The individual would manage committees of industry experts and consultants compiling human and environmental safety data on a broad range of substances, as well as development of tools for utilizing the data in a risk evaluation framework. The individual would also help develop positions, policies, briefings and evaluations addressing regulatory initiatives related to the safety of cleaning products that are scientifically sound, as well as industry comments on regulatory proposals.
Additional job responsibilities include monitoring and critically evaluating technical literature and regulatory proposals related to the environmental and human safety of cleaning products; developing coalitions with other organizations; serving on outside committees and expert panels; contributing to and, at times, managing development of industry submissions to regulatory agencies; and providing technical support to ACI consumer education, communications, international and legislative affairs programs.
Further Details: Current and projected regulatory, technical and research programs related to human and environmental safety in which the Associate Vice President, Science and Regulatory Affairs will or could be involved include:
- ACI’s program responding to the Food and Drug Administration’s call for safety and efficacy data for active ingredients used in antiseptic hand and body hygiene products
- Development of tools and information for assessing the human exposure and associated risk of cleaning product ingredients
- Issues arising with cleaning product chemicals in various chemical regulatory systems, such as the Toxic Substances Control Act and California’s Safer Consumer Product regulations
- Represent ACI on appropriate committees or activities in technical organizations such as the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry and Society of Toxicology
- Partnerships on human and environmental safety research with other industry organizations, government bodies and other stakeholders
- Technical investigations pertinent to better understanding the environmental fate and effects of cleaning product ingredients in wastewater treatment systems, wastewater reuse systems, and the aquatic and terrestrial environments.